I used a phone camera to bring my racist attacker to justice. This is how we must fight back | Shabir Makim

Individuals can’t take on governments and the media, but with the will and the technology it is possible to expose acts of racism

I am a British teacher of Asian heritage. Earlier this year I was beaten around the head by a white racist, a former soldier, who wielded two umbrellas and hurled abuse at me because of the colour of my skin. My attacker was Robert Browne. Last month he pleaded guilty to racially/religiously aggravated common assault/beating and today he was sentenced to 10 weeks, suspended for 18 months, and ordered to pay me £300.

Browne very nearly got away with his appalling attack on me, which left me both physically and emotionally injured, and extremely traumatised. He attacked me because I didn’t just walk on by when he and another man became involved in an abusive exchange with a homeless man who was begging outside a Tesco store in Greater Manchester.

Shabir Makim is a teacher

Continue reading...

source https://oto.oto-login.com/

Nhận xét

Bài đăng phổ biến từ blog này

Half-witted, reckless Librium Liz may be even worse than May and Johnson | John Crace

The White Lotus season two review – this immaculate show’s writing is utterly unrivalled

Chris Ashton reaches try milestone in Leicester’s thrashing of Exeter